Certification Programs |
Three Certifications Available
We are pleased to offer certification testing for Professional Print Production, Best Practices for Sustainability in Print, and How to Buy Digital & Variable Data Printing Certifications to our conference attendees again this year. Certification includes a printed study guide, resource materials and a pass/fail certification test. The certifications are self-study and the test can be taken at your liesure. You may register for the certifications on the registration form for the conference.
NEW! Best Practices for Sustainability in Print Certification Overview
We are pleased to release this 300-page plus robust tool kit and study guide with a focus on the best practices for sustainability in print which includes over 100 pages of case studies from major buying organizations. This program contains specific and actionable advice whether you are far down the environmental path or just getting started. This valuable certification will help you create print projects that are more sustainable while making the right choices for your company. If your company has environmental policies in place, this is the perfect resource to help you be accountable within your organization. This advice is geared primarily to major print buyers and marketers, but it is also a valuable educational tool for print suppliers, who are more and more frequently asked to partner with their clients on sustainability programs.
Best Practices for Sustainability in Print is chock full of resources to help you effectively:
- Encourage sustainable print practices within your company
- Set standards for your print suppliers
- Rate how "green" your print projects and suppliers are
Purchasing Sustainable Print Projects
- Our Research on Print Buyers and their Suppliers – plus, the fast-growing trends towards sustainability
- Code of Ethics – reasonable, but an effective plan for print buyers and their companies
- In-depth Perspectives:
- Environmental Responsibility for the Paper and Printing Industries by Derek Smith
- “Greenwashing” vs. Making a True Difference by Greenpeace
- The Forest Stewardship Council (FSC): Leading Forest Conservation and Market Transformation
- Sustainable Forest Initiative (SFI): A Bold Approach to Sustainable Forest Management
Case Studies that give specific and actionable plans from major buying companies including:
- Consumer Reports
- New World Library
- Society for Neuroscience
- Harvard University Press
- Office Depot
- Temple University
- Dell Corporation
- What is Sustainability?
- Creating Standards for Your Print Suppliers
- Paper Technology and Sustainability
- Ink Technology and Sustainability
- Coatings, Laminates and Adhesives
- Designing, Specifying and Buying Sustainable Print Projects
- Creating a List of Standards for Your Company
- “How to Green Your Copy Paper”
- How to Use our Tool Kit
- "How Green is Your Print Project?" - Rate your print projects for sustainability
- "How Green is Your Print Supplier?" - Rate your printers as an environmental partner
- The WWF Guide to Buying Paper
- The WWF Paper Scorecard Manual
- FSC Fact Sheet 1 - Logo design rules and regulations
- FSC Fact Sheet 2 - How to pick the correct FSC logo
- FSC Fact Sheet 3 – Sample FSC logo placement guide
- Sustainable Procurement of Wood and Paper-based Products
"Best Practices for Sustainability in Print" Exam
Resources and Print Samples
Professional Print Production Certification Overview
This certification is aimed primarily at novice to mid-level print buyers, although seasoned buyers will also greatly benefit from the education, as most print buyers have never received formal training.* PCPI has developed this highly focused certification to help you make the best, most cost-effective decisions when buying printing services. You'll learn how to match your print buying needs with the right solution provider to ensure that the finished product meets all your expectations. We'll show you how to plan and communicate effectively with your printer to avoid rework, missed deadlines, unexpected costs and disappointing results, and how to achieve high-quality results the first time around. We’ll also teach you the fundamentals of print technology, but in a way that’s meaningful and effective for print buyers and marketing communications professionals.
* The Professional Print Production Certification is a prerequisite for the Advanced Print Production Certification.
The Business of Effectively Buying Printing
- Qualifications/Functions of the Print Buyer
- Evaluating a Supplier’s Capabilities
- Interviewing Print & Graphic Suppliers
- What to Look For In a Plant Tour
- Communicating Specifications & Expectations to Your Printer
- Bidding Print Projects
- Creating Request for Information and Request for Proposals
- How Printers Estimate Your Jobs
- Pricing Tips
- Calculating Production Quantities
- Communication Tools
- Getting an Accurate Invoice
- Managing Your Suppliers
- Developing Print Standards
- Post Production Reviews
- Business Review Meetings
- Partnering with Your Printer
- Negotiating with Your Printer
- Getting the Most From Your Printers
- Accepting Gifts from Suppliers
- Opportunities for Cost Savings
- How to Evaluate Design & Creative Work
- Advancing Your Career
Everything You Need to Know About Print Technologies to Buy Printing Effectively
Color & Ink Technology
- Color Overview
- RGB vs. CMYK
- How to Communicate Color
- Color Q&As & Tips
- Ink Overview
- Ink Options
- Ink Resources
- Ink Q&As & Tips
- Coating Options
- Main Considerations
- Paper Classifications
- Paper Properties
- Paper Types
- Why Paper Grain is Important
- Selecting Paper: Environmentally Sound Choices
- Should You Buy Paper Direct?
- Paper Q&As & Tips
- Rasters, Vectors, and RIPs
- Computer-to-Plate Technology
- Major Printing Methods
- Printing Terminology
- Sheetfed vs. Web Printing
- Press Tips
- Keeping Up with Technology
- Printing Problems to Avoid
- Folding Options
- Binding Options
- Special Printing & Finishing Processes
- Function of Proofs
- Printing Proofs
- Selecting the Right Proof
- Proofing Checklist
- How to Do a Press Inspection
- Proofing Q&As and Tips
How to Buy Digital and Variable Data Printing Overview
- Identify the basic technologies of digital and variable data printing.
- Employ these services more effectively.
- Apply best practices for creating and designing effective campaigns.
- Identify how to best collaborate with your service providers on these special projects.
- Drive digital and VDP campaigns that are profitable for both your company and your suppliers.
Benefits of Certification
- Recognize the real differences between buying digital and buying offset.
- Identify how to avoid common mistakes when producing digital and variable data projects.
- Discover how to find the right digital printer.
- Receive checklist for equipment and services.
- Set quality and service expectations.
- Effectively manage data.
- Uncover hybrid solutions.
- Prepare files for digital and multi-channel.
- Receive helpful resources such as lists of terminology and additional resource materials.
For complete details about the PCPI Certification programs, we invite you to visit: PCPI Professional Certifications or call 703-534-9379. You may register for the certifications on the registration form for the conference.